Shizuoka Prefecture Railway Stations: Izu Hakone Railway Sunzu Line (Mishima City~Shuzenji/Izu Peninsula)

SENZU-LINE-2

The Sunzu Line opened for operations on May 20, 1898, connecting Zuso-Mishima Station (present-day Mishima-Tamachi Station) with Nanjō Station (present-day Izu-Nagaoka Station). The terminus of the line was moved to Mishima Station (present day Shimo-Togari Station) on June 15, 1898, and the southern end of the line was extended to Ōhito Station on July 17, 1899.

The line became part of the Izu Railway (伊豆鉄道 Izu Tetsudō) on July 19, 1907, which in turn became the Sunzu Electric Railway (駿豆電気鉄道 Sunzu Denki Tetsudō) on April 1, 1912. This company merged with Fuji Hydroelectric (富士水電) in 1914, and was spun back out as the Sunzu Railway (駿豆鉄道 Sunzu Tetsudō?) on November 5, 1917. The line was electrified by June 1919, and the southern terminus extended to Shuzenji Station on August 1, 1924. In May 1933, regularly scheduled weekend services to Tokyo Station began operation, but were later suspended during World War II. With the opening of the Tanna Tunnel in 1934 and the re-routing of the Tōkaidō Main Line, the Sunzu ceased operations at Shimotogari Station and its northern terminus became the new Mishima Station. A rail yard and train factory was completed at Daiba Station on June 10, 1937.

In 1949, the Japan National Railways began semi-express and limited-express train operations from Tokyo. The Sunzu Railway Company was acquired by the Izuhakone Railway on June 1, 1957. The line was upgraded from 600 V to 1,500 V on September 7, 1959. All freight operations were discontinued as of June 16, 1972. An ATS system was installed in December 1972 and a CTC system in 1985 (upgraded in 2007). As of March 2007, all stations were equipped with automatic wickets compatible with the PASMO Smart card system.

MISHIMA STATION/三島駅

SUNZU-MISHIMA

Location: 16-1 Ichiban-chō, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県三島市一番町16-1)

Mishima Station (三島駅 Mishima-eki) is an interchange railway station in Mishima, Shizuoka, Japan on the Tōkaidō Main Line and the Tōkaidō Shinkansen of Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central), and was a freight terminal of the Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight). It is also a union station with the Izuhakone Railway. The station is 120.7 rail kilometers from Tokyo Station.

SUNZU-MISHIMA-2

Mishima Station shortly after completion in 1934.

The original Mishima Station was opened on June 15, 1896 in the town of Nagaizumi. However, with the completion of the Tanna Tunnel between Atami and Numazu, this station was renamed Shimo-Togari Station, and a new Mishima Station was opened at its present location on December 1, 1934. The terminus of the Izuhakone Railway was also relocated to Mishima Station at this time. On April 25, 1969, Tokaido Shinkansen services began serving Mishima Station. Regularly scheduled freight service was discontinued in 1974, however, private freight services to the Toray Industries Mishima plant continued on a spur line until 2007. In 2008, Mishima Station was extensively remodeled, and an ASTY shopping complex was opened at the station.

JR Mishima Station has two island platforms serving tracks 1 to 4. Track 2 and Track 3 are the primary tracks for the Tokaido Main Line, with Tracks 1 and 4 used for through passage of express trains. The Tokaido Shinkansen uses Tracks 5 and 6, which are served by a separate island platform. The adjacent Izuhakone Railway has one side platform and two bay platforms serving Tracks 7, 8 and 9. All platforms are connected by an underpass to a central concourse leading to the station building. The station building has automated ticket machines, TOICA automated turnstiles and a staffed Midori no Madoguchi ticket office.

WC-BF-1

MISHIMA HIROKOOJI STATION/三島広小路駅

SUNZU-LINE-HIROKOOJI

Location: Hirokōji, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県三島市広小路町)

Mishima-Hirokōji Station was opened on May 20, 1898. Located in downtown Mishima, it is primarily used by commuter traffic, except during the annual Mishima Matsuri.
Mishima-Hirokōji Station has a single side platform with a small station building containing automatic ticket machines.

MISHIMA TAMACHI STATION/三島田町駅

Location: Kitada, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県三島市北田町)

Mishima-Tamachi Station was opened on May 20, 1898 as Mishima-machi Station (三島町駅 Mishima-machi eki), the terminal station of the initial phase of line construction extending from Nanjō Station (present-day Izu-Nagaoka Station). The line was connected to the former Mishima Station (present day Shimo-Togari Station) on June 15 of the same year. On May 25, 1919 the line was electrified. The northern terminus of the line was moved to present-day Mishima Station in 1934. The station was renamed to its present name on February 1, 1956.

Mishima-Tamachi Station has a side platform and an island platform serving three tracks. The manned station building has automatic ticket machines.

MSHIMA FUTSUKA MACHI STATION/三島二日町駅

SUNZU-LINE-MISHIMA-FUTSUKA-MACHI

Location: Minami-Futsukamachi, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県三島市南二日町)

Mishima-Futsukamachi Station was opened on December 15, 1932
Mishima-Futsukamachi Station has a single side platform. The small manned station building has automatic ticket machines.

DAIBA STATION/大場駅

SUNZU-LINE-DAIBA

Location: Daiba 136-2, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture (静岡県三島市大場136-2)

Daiba Station was opened on May 20, 1898, as part of the initial construction phase of the Sunzu Line. The station building was rebuilt in 2005
Daiba Station has an island platform and a bay platform serving three tracks. Platforms 1 and 2 are used for both normal and express traffic. Platform 3 is used primarily during commuting hours, and the track at Platform 3 terminates at Daiba Station. The manned station building has automatic ticket machines.

IZU NITTA STATION/伊豆仁田駅

SUNZU-LINE-IZU-NITTA

Location: Nitta, Kannami Cho, Mishima City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県三島市函南町仁田)

Izu-Nitta Station was opened on June 30, 1921
Izu-Nitta Station has two opposed side platforms. Platform 1 is the primary platform, and used for bidirectional traffic. Platform 3 is used only during commuting hours for traffic to Mishima. The manned station building has automatic ticket machines.

BARAKI STATION/原木駅

SUNZU-LINE-BARAKI

Location: Baraki, Izunokuni City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆の国市原木)

Baraki Station was opened on May 20, 1898 as part of the initial construction phase of the Sunzu Line
Baraki Station has two opposed side platforms connected to the station building by a level crossing. Platform 2 is the primary platform, and is used for bidirectional traffic. Platform 1 is in occasional use only. The station building is unmanned and has automatic ticket machine.

NIRAYAMA STATION/韮山駅

SUNZU-LINE-NIRAYAMA

Location: Yokkamachi, Izunokuni City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆の国市四日町)

Nirayama Station was opened on August 5, 1900 as Hōjō Station (北条駅 Hōjō-eki). It was given its present name on May 25, 1919.
Nirayama Station has two opposed side platforms connected to the station building by a level crossing. Platform 2 is the primary platform, and is used for bidirectional traffic. Platform 1 is in occasional use only. The station building is unmanned and has automatic ticket machines.

IZU NAGAOKA STATION/伊豆長岡駅

SUNZU-LINE-IZU-NAGAOKA

Location: Nanjō, Izunokuni City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆の国市南条)

Izu-Nagaoka Station was opened on May 20, 1898 as Nanjō Station (南条駅 Nanjō -eki) as the terminal station for the first phase of construction of the Sunzu Line. The line was extended onwards to Ōhito on July 17, 1899. The station was given its present name on May 25, 1919. The station building was rebuilt in 1986.
Izu-Nagaoka Station has one side platform and one island platform connected to the station building by an overpass. However, only the island platform serving tracks 2 and 3 is in normal use for passenger traffic and is used for bidirectional traffic for both normal and express services. The station building is manned and has automatic ticket machines, a manned service counter and shops.

WC-BF-1

TAKYOO STATION/田京駅

SUNZU-LINE-TAKYOO

Location: Takyō, Izunokuni City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆の国市田京)

Takyō Station was opened on July 17, 1899 as part of the extension of the Sunzu line from Nanjō Station (present-day Izu-Nagaoka to Ōhito).
Takyō Station has an island platform and a side platforms connected to the station building by a level crossing. The station building has both a manned service counter and automatic ticket machines.

OOHITO STATION/大仁駅

SUNZU-LINE-OOHITO

Location: Ōhito, Izunokuni City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆の国市大仁)

Ōhito Station was opened on July 17, 1899 as part of the extension of the Sunzu line from Nanjō Station (present-day Izu-Nagaoka. The line was further extended to its preset terminus at Shuzenji in 1924.
Ōhito Station has an island platform and a side platform connected to the station building by a level crossing. The station building has both a manned service counter and automatic ticket machines.

MAKINOKOO STATION/牧之郷駅

SUNZU-LINE-MAKINOKOO

Location: Makinokō, Izu City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆市牧之郷)

Makinokō Station was opened on August 1, 1924, as part of the final extension of the Sunzu line from Ōhito to its present terminus at Shuzenji.
Makinokō Station has two opposed side platforms connected to the station building by a level crossing. The station building is unmanned and automatic ticket machines.

SHUZENJI STATION/修善寺駅

SUNZU-LINE-SHUZENJI

Location: Kashiwakubo, Izu City, Shizuoka Prefecture(静岡県伊豆市柏久保)

Shuzenji Station was opened on August 1, 1924 as part of the final extension of the Sunzu line from Ōhito.
Shuzenji Station has two island platforms serving four tracks. Tracks 1 and 2 are used for local service only; Tracks 3 and 4 are used for both local and limited express Odoriko services. The station building has both a manned service counter and automatic ticket machines.

Related Article on Shuzenji Station HERE!

The Hidden Gems of Japan!

%d bloggers like this: