Shizuoka Prefecture Railway Stations: Iida Line (in Tenryuu Ku, Hamamatsu City)

IIDA

The Iida Line (飯田線) is a Japanese railway line between Toyohashi Station in Toyohashi, Aichi Prefecture and Tatsuno Station in Tatsuno, Nagano Prefecture, operated by Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central). The line links eastern Aichi Prefecture and southern Nagano Prefecture through northwestern Shizuoka Prefecture. It goes through steep mountains as well as cities such as Iida and Ina. The line was originally four different private railway lines, the first of which opened in 1897. The line has an unusually high number of stations, some of which have since lost their nearby communities due to depopulation. Traveling the entire length of the 195.7 km line by local trains takes six hours.

Serviced (bear in mind that trains don’t stop everywhere!) stations inside Shizuoka Prefecture (South to North):
Izumma-kamiichiba-Urakawa-Hayase-Shimokawai-Chubu Tenryuu-Sakuma-Aizuki-Shironishi-Mukaichiba-Misakubo-Ozore-Kowada.

IZUMMA STATION/出馬駅

IIDA-LINE-IZUMMA

Location: Sakuma-cho Urakawa 1997, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町浦川1997)

Izumma Station was established on November 11, 1934 as a passenger station on the now defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Izumma Station is an unmanned station with only a single elevated side platform built on a gentle curve.

KAMIICHIBA STATION/上市場駅

IIDA-LINE-KAMIICHIBA

Location: Sakuma-cho Urakawa 2541, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町浦川2541)

Kamiichiba Station was established on June 12, 1935 as the Sanshin Kamiichiba Signal Depot on the now defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida Line. It was elevated to a passenger station on December 1, 1946. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Kamiichiba Station is an unattended station with only a single elevated side platform.

URAKWA STATION/浦川駅

IIDA-LINE-URAKAWA

Location: Sakuma-cho, Urakawa 2820, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町浦川2820)

Urakawa Station was established on November 11, 1934, as a station on the now defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. Scheduled freight services were discontinued from 1980. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company. The station has been unmanned since 1991.
Urakawa Station is an unmanned station with a single elevated island platform and a station building connected to the platform by a level crossing

HAYASE STATION/早瀬駅

IIDA-LINE-HAYASE

Location: 431 – 3906, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町浦川4455)

Hayase Station was established on May 10, 1935 as the Hayase Signal Depot on the now defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. Hayase was elevated to a full station on December 1, 1946. Along with the division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Hayase Station is an unattended station with a single elevated side platform only.

SHIMOKAWAI STATION/下川合駅

IIDA-LINE-SHIMOKAWAI

Location: Sakuma-cho, Kawai 595, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町川合595)

Shimokawai Station was established on November 11, 1934. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. All freight services were discontinued in 1971. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Shimokawai Station is an unmanned station with a single elevated side platform, and a small waiting room built onto the platform. It formerly had a single island platform, but was rebuilt in 2008.

CHUUBU TENRYUU STATION/中部天竜駅

IIDA-LINE-CHUUBU-TENRYUU

Location: Sakuma-cho Hamba 15, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町半場15)

Chūbu-Tenryū Station was opened on November 11, 1934. The initial plans called for the station to eventually be joined by a spur line to Tenryū-Futamata Station on the Tenryū Hamanako Line. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. All freight services were discontinued in 1982 Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company (JR Central).

The station was originally named Sakuma Station (the name presently used by the next station), and renamed in 1935 as Nakappe-Tenryū Station and again at the time of nationalization as Chūbu-Tenryū Station. The latter of the two events of renaming was only a change in official pronunciation of the kanji name.
Chūbu-Tenryū Station is a manned station with a single island platform, and a station building with a “Green Window” manned service counter. The station was also home to the Sakuma Rail Park, (closed November 2010) a museum with exhibits on the Japanese railway system in general, and the Iida line in particular, including numerous examples of locomotives and rolling stock.

SAKUMA STATION/佐久間駅

IIDA-LINE-SAKUMA

Location: Sakuma-cho, Sakuma 2434, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町佐久間2434)

Sakuma station was established on November 10, 1936 as the “Sakuma-Masakuboguchi stop” (佐久間水窪口停留場?) on the now-defunct Sanshin Railway. Its name was changed to the “Sakuma stop” in 1938, and it was upgraded to a full station on February 7, 1941. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line.

The station was relocated slightly to the west in 1955 as a part of rerouting of the line to avoid the rising waters of the Sakuma Dam. All freight services were discontinued in December 1971 and the station were unmanned from February 1984. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Sakuma station is a manned station with a single elevated side platform. The station building doubles as a branch of the Hamammatsu City Library, and passengers waiting for trains have access to the collection. The station formerly had an island platform, but was rebuilt in 2008.

AIZUKI STATION/相月駅

IIDA-LINE-AIZUKI

Location: 883 Sakuma-cho Aizuki, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町相月883)

Aizuki Station opened on November 11, 1955. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Aizuki Station is an unattended station with a single elevated side platform, and small station building. The station is located in a valley between two tunnels.

SHIRONISHI STATION/城西駅

IIDA-LINE-SHIRONISHI

Location: Sakuma-cho, Aijiki, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区佐久間町相月)

Shironishi Station was established on November 11, 1955, as a station on Japan National Railway (JNR), when the Iida line between Sakuma Station and Ōzore Station was rerouted to avoid the rising waters of the Sakuma Dam. Freight services were discontinued in 1974. The station has been unmanned since 1984. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Shironishi Station is an unmanned station with a single elevated side platform, and small station building. The station formerly had a single island platform, but was rebuilt in 2008.

MUKAICHIBA STATION/向市場駅

IIDA-LINE-MUKAIICHIBA

Location: Misakubo-cho Jitogata 230, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区水窪町水窪町地頭方230)

Mukaichiba Station was established on November 11, 1955 as a passenger station on Japan National Railway (JNR), when the Iida line between Sakuma Station and Ōzore Station was rerouted to avoid the rising waters of the Sakuma Dam. Along with its division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Mukaichiba Station is an unattended station with a single elevated side platform, and no station building.

MISAKUBO STATION/水窪駅

IIDA-LINE-MISAKUBO

Location: Misakubo-cho Jitogata 973, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区水窪町地頭方973)

Misakubo Station was established on November 11, 1955 as a station on Japan National Railway (JNR), when the Iida line between Sakuma Station and Ōzore Station was rerouted to avoid the rising waters of the Sakuma Dam. All freight services were discontinued in 1984. Along with the division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.
Misakubo Station is a station with a single elevated island platform, and a small station building. The station is manned during daylight hours. The station also has a head shunt to permit the passage of express trains.

OOZORE STATION/大嵐駅

IIDA-LINE-OOZORE

Location: Misakubo-cho Okuryoke 188, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区水窪町奥領家188)

Ōzore Station was established on December 29, 1936 as a station on the now-defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. All freight services were discontinued in December 1971 and the station has been unmanned since February 1984. Along with the division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company. A new station building was completed on August 20, 1997.
Ōzore Station is an unmanned station with a single elevated island platform, and a small brick station building modeled after Tokyo Station. The station is located at the exit of the Ohara Tunnel (5,063 meters), and the switch point for the station is located within the tunnel.

KOWADA STATION/小和田駅

IIDA-LINE-KOWADA

Location: Misakubo-cho Okuryoke 14, Tenryū, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture(浜松市天竜区水窪町奥領家44)

Kowada Station was established on December 30, 1936, as the terminal station of the now-defunct Sanshin Railway. On August 1, 1943, the Sanshin Railway was nationalized along with several other local lines to form the Iida line. All freight services were discontinued in December 1971 and the station has been unmanned since February 1984. Along with the division and privatization of JNR on April 1, 1987, the station came under the control and operation of the Central Japan Railway Company.

Kowada Station is an unmanned station with a single elevated side platform, and a small wooden station building. Until 2008, the station had dual opposed side platforms, but one platform has since been discontinued.
The station is located in an isolated area near the border of Shizuoka Prefecture with Nagano and Aichi and is not accessible by road. The nearest road (towards Sakuma Dam) is a 40- to 50-minute walk.

Advertisements

The Hidden Gems of Japan!

%d bloggers like this: